The person setting up the Marketo integration must be a Marketo user with Admin rights. If you already have a Custom Service set up with Marketo, then you may proceed to the next section. Otherwise, here’s how to set up the integration within Marketo:
1. Create a Role
- Once you’re logged into your Marketo account, select Admin from the top of the page.
- Select Users & Roles from the left panel. Then select the Roles tab to the right. Click New Role just below this tab to begin creating the new role.
- Enter “Metadata” as the Role Name
- Enter “Metadata Integration” as the Description
- Check the following boxes for Permissions: Access API + Read-Write Person and Assets and click Create
2. Create a User
- Invite a new API-only user to associate with the role you just created. Select the Users tab and then select Invite New User.
- Enter a name and email for the new API-only user
- Enter a name and email for the new API-only user. For reason use “Metadata Integration”. For Access Expires select Never. Click Next
- Associate this user with the API role that was created earlier by selecting the checkbox “Metadata” under Roles. Check the API-only user check box, and click Next > Send.
3. Create Custom Service
- Create a custom service to identify Metadata by selecting Admin > LaunchPoint on the left-hand side of the page. Then select New > New Service.
- Provide a Display Name called “Metadata”
- Choose Custom from the Service drop-down.
- Provide a Description and select the User Email Address associated with the API-Only user created earlier
- Click Create
4. Grab Client ID, Client Secret, and Identity URL from Marketo
- Select View Details for the new service that’s been created.
- Retrieve the Client ID and Client Secret from the details that appear. Click Close.
- Identity URL is found in
- Admin > Web Services menu in the REST API section (copy the URL up until the “.com”)
- Save this information for the integration setup within Metadata platform
II. Metadata Platform Set-Up
1. Log in to your Metadata account and go to the integrations page
2. Click Connect in the Marketing Automation box
3. Select Marketo and click Next
3. Enter your Client ID, Client Secret & Identity URL next to domain, from Marketo that was saved earlier.
4. Click Next to map the fields. Do not select any 'Read-Only' fields. Important: Your converted lead detail will be sent to the fields that are selected on this step.
5. If you currently don’t have any fields in Marketo that map to the fields on Metadata, you may need to create fields in Marketo to map. See next section (Create Custom Fields in Marketo)
6. Map all fields and click Next.
7. Configure Marketo parameters
III. Create Custom Fields in Marketo
1. In your Marketo system, navigate to Admin > Database Management > Field Management > New Custom Field.
2. This will display the New Custom Field dialog box. (If you are creating new UTM fields, Field Type is string and Name/API Name is just the field name as it will be. See here for reference: https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Create+a+Custom+Field+in+Marketo.)
3. Using the New Custom Field dialog box, add the following Metadata fields that Marketo doesn’t currently have.
Default fields on metadata:
- Business Email
- First Name
- Last Name
- Job Title
- Personal Phone
- Company Name
- Company Phone
- Zip Code
- Yearly Revenue
- LinkedIn URL
- UTM Source
- UTM Medium
- UTM Campaign
- UTM Term
- UTM Content
- MQL Date
*All fields are optional to create
- Leads can be pushed to Marketo manually or automatically after being enriched by Metadata’s platform. We ensure the lead’s data is mapped correctly with Marketo’s fields on integration form.
- If you run into trouble when setting up your Marketo integration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org