This guide covers commonly asked questions related to MetaMatch audiences.
Note: Read All about: MetaMatch vs native targeting audiences to learn the difference between MetaMatch and native targeting audience types.
What kind of data can I preview?
- After the audience finishes building you may select the audience to preview the data to make any further adjustments to the criteria.
In the Custom Audience tab, can I upload all lists to a channel at the same time, or do I need to upload them one at a time?
- One at a time… for now. It will be auto in the future
What ratio should I expect in terms of the number of companies to the number of leads?
- Leads are only based on the number of emails that our data sources find so there is no magic ratio here. When uploading a contact list or a company list you may find the results are greater than the original upload for these reasons:
Contact List - Since we want to ensure the best targeting as possible we will "pull" in all matches we find based on that contact's email which can include personal and business emails as the contact may have not updated their email in the social channel.
Account List - Since there are different variations of a Company (multiple locations, etc) we will "pull" in all matches based on that domain and the related Contacts at those Companies.
- They refresh every 24 hours.
Contact List CSV has a higher match rate in the social channel:
Please note, for Contact List CSV audiences email is the only parameter we upload to LinkedIn and Facebook to ensure the best targeting. You may see a higher match rate uploading directly to LinkedIn since the channel allows uploading multiple parameters (first name, last name, email) which doesn't have as high of accuracy.
My audience does not show matching, why?
- Check to make sure that your social integrations are connected
- Try selecting the audience and under the actions menu try uploading to the social channel again
- Check to make sure you're able to create a Contact List or Account List directly in the channel - the feature may be currently blocked.
- If the problem persists please reach out to email@example.com
I can't select a native website retargeting audience from the list, why?
- Check to make sure the audience is not already created. There is a rule that if the website retargeting audience already exists it will not show available in the drop down to select. See this article for further steps on how to setup retargeting audiences
I can no longer upload audiences to Facebook, why?
Check to make sure you don't have more than 500 audiences as per Facebook's internal policy, only a total of 500 Audiences can exist on the channel. If you navigate here you should be able to create a Contact List audience on Facebook directly.
Contact List contains domains not included in original upload when previewing data
When uploading a Contact List to the Metadata platform we will enrich all personal emails and past work experience emails to ensure that we get the Ad in front of that contact as they may not have updated their email in the social channels - so you may see some additional companies/domains in the contact list when previewing the data.
Contact List is not available to create on Facebook, why?
In order to upload a Contact List audience to Facebook the feature needs to be unlocked:
If this feature is not available you will unfortunately not be able to create audiences with Facebook. In order for this to be available your business manager will need to be verified and you need to create at least 1 campaign with a different audience type that has been running already. Once this process is done it can take upwards of 4-6 weeks for the feature to become available.
To see if the feature is available navigate here and try to create a Contact List audience.
When using Grouped Audiences is the logic OR or AND between Lists?
When grouping together two audiences that are lists (Account List or Contact List) the Logic between the two is OR. If you introduce Native Criteria such as Job titles, Geographic location with the lists then it becomes AND between the List+Criteria.
Account/Contact Lists + Native example:
Audience A: Contact List
Audience B: Account List
Audience C: Native Criteria - Geo Location (Canada, USA)
(A OR B) AND C ( Canada OR USA )
Native Criteria example:
Audience A : Native Criteria - Job Title, Industry (Sr. Manager, Insurance)
Audience B: Native Criteria - Geo Location (Canada)
A AND B
LinkedIn Audience Limitations
When creating audiences and defining native filters there are certain limitations to be aware of for both INCLUDE and EXCLUDE.
- Seniority AND Job titles cannot be combined.
- Any audience under EXCLUDE cannot have the same GEO of audiences set under INCLUDE.
- LinkedIn Native Audiences under EXCLUDE cannot have Job Function or Seniority if any of the LinkedIn Native Audiences under INCLUDE uses Job Title.
- LinkedIn Native Audiences under EXCLUDE cannot have same value in criteria as LinkedIn Native Audiences under INCLUDE. For example, you cannot have location as Canada in Include audience as well as Exclude, or Job Title=Manager in Include Audience and Job Title=Manager in Exclude Audience.
- Employee size field can either be in INCLUDE or EXCLUDE LinkedIn Native Audiences, not both.
Do Audiences like Firmographic refresh with new data automatically?
The audiences unfortunately do not refresh automatically, we recommend rebuilding them quarterly to refresh the data. Audiences that are Dynamic (LinkedIn, G2, Salesforce) will refresh automatically.